Wednesday 5 October 2011

Stem Ginger Cookies

The previous recipe from Gram LuVerne was the starting point partly because she sent me some recently.  As a thank-you I sent her some of my ginger cookies back, and she asked for my recipe, so begging forgiveness for the almost immediate detour from the purpose of this blog, I figured that I might as well post that here too.  My recipe is for ice-box cookies made with crystallized stem ginger, easy to make and so easy to make look elegant and sophisticated.  I also sent some to my Dad (the recipe makes lots and Mom was acting as the courier, why not right?) and even though he isn't a fan of ginger, he really liked them, although that might have more to do with his perception of the infrequency in which baked goods appear in his life right now, sympathy is hard earned in our family.
Stem Ginger Cookies

Cream together in a mixer:

1 cup butter
1 cup white sugar

When fluffy, mix in:

1 egg

In a separate bowl, mix together:

2 2/3 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

When the wet ingredients are looking smooth again, reduce the speed of the mixer and add the dry ingredients, mix just until fully incorporated.

Then stir in:

3/4 cup of crystallized stem ginger (candied ginger)
     that has been chopped into 1 cm cubes

Shape into a brick (or log, or two) and wrap in baking paper and put in the freezer for at least 2 hours (it will keep in the freezer for up to 1 month but put it in a plastic bag if you're storing it for more than a day).

When you're ready to bake, pre-heat the oven to 375^F, or 190^C

Slice the brick into 1/2 cm cookies and place on a baking tray, leave a good amount of space between them, they grow!

Bake for 8 - 12 minutes, it really varies on how cold your freezer is and if you let the dough partially thaw before baking, but they're done when they're golden brown around the edges.

1 comment:

  1. My goodness! Another delicious recipe to try. It might be nice if mom couriers some baked goods to me when she comes back next time?!?!? But not too much I suppose. I am supposed to be watching what I eat for the half marathon. But I will be dreaming about baking all this tasty goodness!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.