Saturday 18 February 2012

Oatmeal Cookies - Mom

These are, quite possibly, in my opinion at least, the best oatmeal cookies you will ever taste. There are some combinations of ingredients that are unmistakable winners butter-brown sugar-oats is one of them. Add in some vanilla and sweetened desiccated coconut and you have something amazing. The recipe was contributed to the UCW cookbook as Crunches by Edna Orr, who is a bit of a kindred spirit with Mom when it comes to sharing tactics. She listed the ingredients but not what to do with them maybe she assumed that you already know the basics of how to make cookies so don't need instructions?  Luckily I do know how to make cookies and I can manoeuvre through her badly out of order ingredients.
 
Oatmeal Cookies
 
Pre-heat the oven to 350^F (that’s 177^C)
 
In a mixer beat together until fluffy and pale
1 cup butter
1 ¼ cup brown sugar
 
Then add in and keep beating until well mixed
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
 
Turn the speed of the mixer down and add in
1 cup flour
1 tsp baking soda
 
Once the flour is fully mixed into the dough, turn the mixer off, take the bowl out and stir in by hand
2 ½ cups rolled oats
1 cup sweetened desiccated coconut
 
Drop the dough onto cookie sheets by the teaspoon full.  If you have extra big cookie sheets, this is the time to use them, I got 80 cookies out of this recipe – 80! 
 
Bake for 10 – 12 minutes until they are caramelised golden brown.


I don't know what happened to my memory but I was not expecting this many cookies from this recipe, eighty!

4 comments:

  1. These cookies were good. But, I've never been much of a fan of oatmeal cookies... but I love porridge. Go figure....

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the best oatmeal cookie recipe I have found and they are good, crisp cookie. Edna did know how to bake!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't like most oatmeal cookies, they're usually soft and a bit bland where these are crispy and toffee-like.

    Mom, do you really remember Edna?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I remember Edna. She was very active in the UCW and Guides. She was one of my brownie leaders. And she was a friend of Grandma Ross. When her husband retired from Alcan they moved to the Okanagan, I think.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.