Saturday 26 November 2011

Thimble Cookies or Jam Thumbs or Bird's Nest Cookies - Mom

These little cookies never had a definite name when we were growing up, but despite that, we always knew what someone was talking about when they were named.  I always thought there was a special secret to these cookies, I think I thought that they formed little dents in the middle naturally, all on their own, like magic.  It wasn't some big revelation when I realized that you had to make the dent with your thumb before baking it was just common sense, but I was surprised to find out that Mom used a thimble to re-define the dent after baking because they often came out of the oven swollen almost shut.  Good advice Mom!

Jam Thumbs

Pre-heat the oven to 350^F (175^C)

Cream together until fluffy
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup sugar

Mix in
1 egg yolk (save the white for later)
1 tsp vanilla

Finally stir in
1 cup flour

Shape the dough into balls, dip the balls in the egg white then roll in sweetened dessicated coconut and place on a cookie sheet.  Make a dent in the middle of the ball with your thumb before baking.

Bake for 10 - 12 minutes then take out of the oven and use a thimble (or in my case a slim bottle with a very small lid) and widen the dent to make it bigger before transferring to a wire rack to cool, work quickly to fill with raspberry jam while they're still warm.

4 comments:

  1. Those cookies look like yummmm, Jen!! Haven't had them in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. another cookie I totally forgot all about!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what kind of jam did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's raspberry but seedless, it was on sale, I prefer the seeds for some reason but I couldn't argue with the price.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.