Sunday 11 December 2011

Chocolate Chip Cookies - Mom

Ahhh, chocolate chip cookies, the gold standard of childhood home baking memories, I think this was the most often baked recipe in our home. So with credit to the back of the packet of chocolate chips, I present our family version of the Hershey's Chocolate Town Chip cookie. There isn’t much variation on the recipe, the only difference is we used ground walnuts instead of chopped so you didn’t bite into a crunchy piece of walnut, it made the dough a little stiffer and sometimes the cookies stayed in little humps while baking instead of spreading out into flat discs, but they still tasted good.
Making them smells like home.
Chocolate Chip Cookies
 
Pre-heat your oven to 375^F (190^F)
 
Cream together until smooth and pale and you can no longer feel any grains
1 cup shortening or 3/4 cup butter or margarine
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
 
Then add to the mixer
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
beat until fluffy
 
Mix in
2 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
 
At this point your mixer is probably ready to give up so by hand mix in
1 cup ground walnuts
     (I couldn't find ground walnuts so I used pieces that I bashed into a paste with my rolling pin)
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (they don't have to be Hershey, we almost always had bulk buy chips)
 
Drop by teaspoon full onto a cookie sheet and bake for 7 - 10 minutes, I like them really toasty brown so I went the full 10 min.

I don't know why, but most of the chocolate chips sank to the bottom of the cookies when baking this time, they were still there in every bite so no matter.

1 comment:

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.