Wednesday 25 January 2012

copy cat cupcake mugs

I have to say I'm pretty over the whole cupcake trend, there's an offensive number of cupcake shops everywhere, too many people seem to think that cupcakes are somehow more sophisticated than regular cakes (they're not, they're actually children's food) or maybe this trend is being supported by germophobes who don't want their food touching someone else's.  I might also be taking against them because I think of them as the bullying product of the baking world.  They allow bullies who only want to share with specific friends to pre-decide which friends they want to share with then bake and bring only that number of cupcakes and woe betide the B-list friend who happens to be part of the group that day, "sorry, I only brought six," because let's face it, cutting a big cake into 7 pieces instead of 6 isn't that much of a deal but since cupcakes are meant to be served without cutlery it really is too much of an imposition to ask one person to find a cutting implement and then give away half their cupcake, and I've seen it happen beyond the school playground. 
 
Okay, these are probably unreasonably strong feelings to be held against an innocent little cake and I should just get over it (no probably about the should get over it).
 
And so on that note I thought I'd try overcome my prejudice by taking inspiration from something I saw while trawling around other baking sites where I found these: http://diaryofaladybird.blogspot.com/2010/07/fondant-fun-hot-chocolate-cupcakes.html
 
I just had to make them, I didn't read the instructions I just thought I'd have a go.  This was my very first time working with fondant icing, I definitely should have rolled the fondant icing thicker and I probably should have bought a smoothing tool or at least been a little more gentle when applying the fondant icing to the cake, but even though my attempt isn't quite as perfect I'm still gonna say, ***NAILED IT!***

3 comments:

  1. That is cute. It took me a minute to realize that the whole little cake was a cupcake. Initially I thought you made a cupcake in a mug and were yet to ice it.

    Anyway, yes, I think you nailed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. they're quite cute aren't they, not quite the trompe l'oeil success of the original inspiration but she has more fondant experience than me, if someone brought cakes of my level to a tea party I'd be tickled.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watch cake boss sometimes... you could have used a steamer to finish it off and make the mug shiny.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.