Sunday 8 January 2012

Meringues - Grandma Ross

My Grandma Ross used to make the most amazing meringues, they were pure white and crisp and dry and just melted in your mouth.  A lot of times when I'm baking, I end up with an extra egg white and I can't help but whisk it up to make a batch of meringues.  I try to convince myself that they're a virtuous little sweet treat, there's no fat in them after all.
You can multiply the recipe up if you have more than 1 egg white but I wouldn't want to tangle with making a batch bigger than 4 egg whites, my oven couldn't cope.

Meringues

Pre-heat the oven to 120^F (50^C)

Whisk until soft peaks form
1 egg white
1/4 tsp cream of tartar

Slowly add in and whisk until stiff peaks form
1/4 cup caster sugar

Blob the meringues onto a cookie sheet that is lined with baking paper (I don't like to recommend using paper all the time, but if the meringues stick to paper you can peel the paper back, if they stick to the tray you're stuck) if you want to get fancy you can use a piping bag to make decorative blobs.

Baking time depends on how big you make them, little meringues can take less than 2 hours (watch a movie and they're done), really big meringues might need to go overnight.  They're done when you pinch them and they crack.
Little meringue kisses.

3 comments:

  1. Very pretty. Good idea for piping. I think mom made pretty good ones too and she would make sandwich cookies with them using whipping cream. Am I remembering correctly or dreaming?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely forgot about that but you're not dreaming, we used to eat them in the little cut glass bowls didn't we? Oh, now I have a good memory of a dangerous idea. These are supposed to be my 'almost healthy' naughty treat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, that is how grandma Ross served them, with whipping cream sandwiched between two meringues. One of my favourites too.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.